Virgin expedition

Friday, October 28, 2005

Winter Sucks (con't)

Let me reiterate again how winter sucks. I am sick. Once again. I don't think I have the flu but i do have an annyoingly drippy nose and a cough that is starting. No appetite(which is good) and coz my taste buds have gone to sleep (which is NO GOOD coz all i want to consume are sweet things). Coupled with this shit, the ladies loo is out of order and I have no lighter. Oh I forgot to add that the sun is bloody shining and it must be 18 degrees outside and I am wearing a sweater and pants and the heating in the office is on.

How is this even possible?????

I am so glad today it's Friday. Because tomorrow my darling younger sister will be here. Am not going out tonight so I can "save" myself for Saturday night. I just hope my sis doesn't fall alseep on me at 9pm.

The good news is that I will soon have tons of new pictures to post here! Yay! As long as I remember to being my camera out with me.

Chiara is progressing in leaps and bounds. It amazes me how many words she has in her vocabulary for a 16 month old baby. And she understands sooo many things. Babies are truly amazing beings. And she is growing cuter and cuter as the days go by. I just hope that her bloody molars appear before we go back to Singapore. We have 3 now and I am waiting anxiously for the others to show up.

Other than that, I don't think I have very much else to say. Have been checking out what's been going on in Singapore via Singaporean blogs and it seems that the latest scandal is the imminent hanging of this 25yr old Vietnamese-Australian boy who was caught in transit in Singapore with drugs strapped to his body.

*Sigh". This is so sad. Sad that he can be caught and tried under Singapore jurisdiction eventhough he never intended to step foot on Singapore soil with those drugs. Sad because the reason why he was transporting these drugs was to clear his brother's debts to loansharks - who were threatening his family. Sad because this poor boy is only 25. Sad because the truth is, he doesn't deserve to die simply for being desperate and stupid.

If he has to die then what about that ex-air stewardess who killed her lover's child by throwing her off a block of HDB flats? I believe this crazy woman is not even being charged with murder. The child was like 4 years old or something. Why does she deserve to live and the Vietnamese boy deserve to die?

You know there are somethings about Singapore that really make me cringe. Outdated and disproportionate laws are just one of those Singaporean thorns in my side. And very embarassing as a Singaporean living abroad who is always quick to point out how Singapore is so much better than many seemingly first-world, so-called sophisticated European countries.

Western-style democracy might not totally work in Singapore right now but what about basic human rights and principles of reasonable regulation?

I know I can go on for hours on this topic and just as I have an opinion about all things Singaporeans, others may believe differently.

I am all for people having differing opinins on issues, but seriously, don't you think it's high time Singapore joins the 21st Century?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.